What is Ahimsa House?
Ahimsa House is Georgia's first and only nonprofit organization solely dedicated to helping both the human and animal victims of domestic violence reach safety together. We exist to address the link between animal cruelty and domestic violence. In homes affected by violence, pets are also at risk, and very few domestic violence shelters in Georgia accept animals. We bridge this gap by helping these victims get their beloved pets to safety. Read more about our story and what we do here.
Since opening in 2004, Ahimsa House has:
- Provided more than 105,923 nights of safe shelter for more than 2,197 pets
- Answered nearly 20,000 calls to our crisis hotline
- Provided services for more than 1,245 people escaping domestic violence
Why should YOU give to Ahimsa House?
It costs us about $400 to care for one victim’s pets. Often, our cost is much higher when victims have multiple animals, when we receive unusual pets like horses, or when animals require extensive veterinary treatment due to injury or neglect.
Every dollar of your donation MAKES A DIFFERENCE. Please GIVE NOW to help domestic violence victims and their pets reach safety, together.
- $10 provides a leash for a dog whose family escaped with no time to bring their belongings.
- $15 provides one day of comprehensive care for an animal in our program.
- $25 provides one month of food for a pet.
- $50 provides one pet with three months of flea and heartworm medication.
- $75 provides a pet fee for a family’s stay in a hotel when shelters are full.
- $100 provides one spay or neuter.
- $150 provides boarding for one pet for one month.
- $300 provides one week of training for a dog to overcome fear from witnessing abuse.
- $400 provides medical care for one pet during their time in our program.
- $500 provides a pet deposit for a reunited family and pet who have reached safe housing together.